20081121

Throw me into leathers and a hood: I'm fired up!

Today I visited the Vikingfire Foundry that's--so conveniently--just down the street from my abode. And what? These folks are terrific! With a mostly female team, (4:1), plenty of regular clients, and an acute artistic energy that exudes from the whole place, this foundry is one in a hundredmilliongazillion--and all I have to do is show up and they'll put me to work, teaching me all about bronze casting, letting me weld, and basically giving me the opprotunity to join their community and learn all about an industry I love. Having been away from metalwork for a few years, I'm stoked to again have the chance to simultaneously gain useful skills and make beautiful things. There's also talk of a revivable 501(c)3, with the interest in teaching youngfolk about casting--which gives me immense excitement; I would love to work with two nonprofits! [Insert Pacific Northwest Parkour Association plug here] Just the smell of the place made me giddy; metal dust and leather...And oh the crucible, the plasma cutter, pneumatic tools! The ultimate goal? Designing and creating interesting structures for training parkour. That's right, long way coming, but it will happen. Jungle gym with relief monkees anyone?

--What's more: I'm watching my friend's daughter on Tuesday (she's seven and quite kick-ass) and, via Steve's invitation, we'll be going on a 'field trip' to the foundry to learn all about the operation and see them pour some metal! It'll be the first viewing for both of us, and with plenty of park time and some pho for lunch, it should be an exciting excursion in Ballard!


Exclamation points for the win!

No comments: